If you’re an avid fan of Kodi but you’re running into geo-location blocks, you might be in search of a solution. And maybe during your investigation, you came across the recommendation of using a VPN for Kodi.
But VPNs cost money, and you don’t have money to spare right now.
We hear you.
The thing is, most free VPNs aren’t worth the risk. They might restrict your bandwidth, be home to privacy concerns, or even host malware.
Of course, that’s not to say all free VPNs should be avoided. So let’s discuss the best free VPN for Kodi.
What to Look For in a Kodi VPN
Before we get into our best free Kodi VPN recommendations – or why you should avoid free VPNs almost exclusively – let’s take a quick look at what to look for in a Kodi VPN:
- Works with Kodi (duh!)
- The provider is not based in a 5/9/14 Eyes country
- Strict no-logs policy
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Automatic kill switch
- IP and DNS leak protection
- Lots of servers
- High-speed connection
- Able to unblock streaming services
- Unlimited bandwidth
- OpenVPN protocol
- 24/7 customer support (live chat is best)
Unfortunately, when it comes to free VPNs, it’s impossible to tick all of these boxes. Still, we did manage to dig up a few trustworthy options…
The Best Free VPN for Kodi
These are our guidelines for finding a free VPN you can trust:
- Do your research, but be careful of fake or compromised VPN review sites
- Use a freemium service, where the provider offers a free version as well as a premium version
Using the above criteria, here are our top recommendations for a free Kodi VPN:
- Windscribe is a freemium service, meaning you can upgrade to the paid version at any time! The two versions are almost exactly the same, with the 10GB/month bandwidth cap and a smaller server network being the only limitations. However, you can get an extra 2GB/month if you Tweet about the provider!
- ProtonVPN is another freemium option. There aren’t any data limits, but you can only connect to VPN servers in 3 countries.
- Tunnelbear is a cute, bear-themed freemium VPN that offers 500MB/month for free. However, you can get an extra 2GB/month if you Tweet about the provider! There are a few other issues (including some user logs being kept), but it’s a good way to ease into the world of VPNs.
- Speedify only gives you 2GB for free every month, and they have a few other notable issues. These include a less-than-ideal logging policy and substandard encryption.
- Hotspot Shield is yet another freemium service, offering 500MB of free data per day. That’s right – per day! The free service comes with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and malware protection.
Why You Shouldn’t Rely on a Free VPN for Kodi
Being able to rely solely on a free VPN for Kodi sounds great. But the fact is…you’re always paying, even if it’s free.
In the case of free VPNs, you’re paying with your information.
Fortunately, while each has its individual issues, the 5 free VPNs listed above are enough to get you started with Kodi.
If you’re going to use a free VPN with Kodi, then ideally it should only be in the short-term.
The Better Option…
There’s always a better solution out there.
In this case, it’s taking advantage of free trials and money-back guarantees. This is especially convenient if you only plan on using a VPN short-term (though we always recommend using one long-term!)
If your plan is to upgrade to a premium VPN at a later stage, then we recommend the following best VPNs for Kodi:
- CyberGhost VPN – 14-day money-back guarantee (45-day guarantee on longer subscription terms)
- ExpressVPN – 30-day money-back guarantee
- NordVPN – 30-day money-back guarantee
- IPVanish – 7-day money-back guarantee
- PrivateVPN – 30-day money-back guarantee
However, do remember money-back guarantees often have terms and conditions attached! In some cases, this includes bandwidth limits.
If we’re being honest, using a free VPN isn’t exactly recommended. However, if you’re desperate for a short-term solution, any of the free VPNs mentioned above or (better yet) one of the best VPN services with a money-back guarantee offers the perfect solution. Make sure you compare VPNs to get the best VPN solution for you.